We are Board Certified Urogynecologists: What Does That Mean?

Doctors called urogynecologists, or urogyns, receive special training to diagnose and treat women with pelvic floor disorders. The American Board of Medical Specialties approved Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, also known as urogynecology, as a certified subspecialty in 2011, and the first doctors were board-certified in 2013. Urogynecologists are physicians who complete medical school and a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology. These physicians are specialists with additional years of fellowship training and certification in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. The training provides expertise in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions that affect the muscles and connective tissue of the female pelvic organs. Pelvic floor conditions that urogynecologists commonly treat include urinary incontinence, overactive bladder, female bowel dysfunction and pelvic organ prolapse. These physicians are also knowledgeable on the latest research in the field pertaining to these conditions. All of the surgeons at our center are board-certified and exclusively dedicated to this challenging and gratifying women’s health subspecialty.